This recipe for spinach raspberry salad with gorgonzola and candied walnuts is one of those random recipes that came from something unwanted: junk mail. A couple of years ago along with most of the daily junk mail I pulled out of the mailbox, there was a coupon for $5 off from a local grocery store. On the back of the coupon was this recipe for a raspberry salad with blue cheese, which sounded quite interesting. The next time I went grocery shopping– I found raspberry vinegar, yum! I didn’t even know such a thing existed, it reminded of the recipe on the back of the coupon. I made the salad with raspberries and blue cheese. I tried it with both spinach and arugula, depending on which was available, but do prefer it with spinach.
Spinach raspberry salad with gorgonzola and honey roasted walnuts with raspberry vinaigrette
- 5 oz spinach
- ½ medium sized red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup honey roasted walnuts
- 2 tbs red raspberry vinegar
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley leaves
- Combine the spinach, sliced red onion, raspberries, crumbled gorgonzola and honey roasted walnuts in a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the raspberry vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Add the raspberry vinaigrette to the salad and toss well. Top with a few parsley leaves.
- Serve immediately.
The original recipe called for plain walnuts, but of course I changed that and replaced them with honey roasted walnuts. I love the contrast of the spicy onions, sweet raspberries, the crunchy sweetness of the walnuts, and the sharp flavor of blue cheese or gorgonzola. Nicolas loves the idea of adding raspberries to salads, so now whenever he’s in charge of making the salad and we have raspberries he automatically adds them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but they definitely work in this salad. If you don’t like gorgonzola or any other type of blue cheese,this salad is also great with feta cheese.