Spicy avocado yogurt dip
This spicy avocado yogurt dip is made with yogurt, avocado, cilantro, green onions or scallions, jalapeño, lime juice, and cumin. My mom would prepare healthy savory yogurt dips for us as kids. One of my favorites was her spicy cilantro yogurt dip. My other favorite dip is guacamole, so I decided to combine them into one.
This creamy dip is very easy to make: simply put the ingredients in a food processor or blender, mix, and done. I used mild jalapeños to add some spiciness to the avocado dip. Feel free to adjust the heat level that you and your family prefer by adding more or less hot peppers. To lower the spiciness level, make sure to remove the seeds and veins from the jalapeños. To increase it, you can leave them in, or you can also use a spicier hot pepper like a Serrano. You can also leave them out entirely or replace with mild Anaheim peppers or even a small amount of sweet bell pepper.
I served this spicy avocado yogurt dip with some fresh veggies (carrots, celery, radishes, bell peppers, cucumber, etc) and crackers as an appetizer for a small dinner party. It will also make a great after-school snack for the kids. I’m always trying to find healthy new snacks for them, and this one will be perfect. The avocado dip can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve.
Ingredients for the Spicy Avocado Yogurt dip:
- A ripe avocado
- Cilantro, I love cilantro and am usually very generous with the amount I add, but feel free to add less.
- Lime juice
- Jalapeños – As mentioned before, you can only use one or remove the veins/seeds to make a mild dip. You can also use a sweet pepper if you prefer a non-spicy version.
- Cumin – I like the extra flavor it adds, but if you aren’t a fan you can leave it out.
- Green onions or scallions – You can also use a little bit of diced white onion instead.
- Plain yogurt – Any plain yogurt you like will work for this dip. You can also use sour cream or Mexican-style crema for a more indulgent dip.
Spicy avocado yogurt dip
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 small bunch of cilantro roughly chopped
- Juice from 1 small lime
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers seeds and veins removed, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2-3 scallions or green onion stalks
- 1 cup plain yogurt about 8 ounces
- Salt to taste
- Diced tomatoes, sliced radishes, chopped scallions and/or cilantro leaves
- Veggies and crackers/chips
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and spoon out the avocado pulp.
- Place the avocado pulp, the chopped cilantro, jalapeño peppers, green onions, cumin powder, and lime juice in a small food processor or blender. Pulse until the ingredients are crushed and pureed.
- Add the yogurt and mix until you have smooth sauce. Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Right before serving, garnish the avocado yogurt dip with diced tomato, radish slices, chopped scallions, and cilantro leaves.
- Serve the avocado yogurt dip with your choice of fresh veggies and/or crackers.