This unbelievably easy strawberry cake recipe is one of the easiest cakes you will ever make. And it’s made with only four ingredients: strawberries, sugar, eggs, and flour. This cake is an adaptation of a French apple cake recipe that my husband’s aunt shared with us. By adaptation I really mean that we just replaced the apples with strawberries and slightly increased the baking time (since strawberries have more moisture than apples).
The cake takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and about 30-35 minutes to bake – one of the easiest desserts you could make. It’s also not too sweet and you can really taste the fruit in every bite. You can serve it just as is or topped with plain crème fraiche/whipped cream.
Easy strawberry cake recipe, this simple coffee style strawberry cake is made with only four ingredients: strawberries, sugar, eggs, and flour.
- 6 ounces (~3/4 cup) of sugar, regular granulated
- 6 ounces (~1 1/3 cup) of flour, all purpose - sifted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 lb of fresh ripe strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in half or quartered (depending on size)
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Mix the eggs with the sugar using an electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Use a flat wooden spoon to slowly stir in the flour until the batter is smooth.
- Mix in the strawberries (save a few to add on top) and pour the cake batter into a lightly greased/floured cake mold, a 9 or 10 inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400F, then lower to 350F degrees and bake for about 30- 35 minutes and golden on top. To test if the cake is done insert a toothpick into the middle, if it comes out clean, then the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool down for a few minutes before removing from the mold or serving.
I am totally obsessed with strawberries and having returned from a recent trip to visit a California strawberry farm, wanted to make something delicious and easy using strawberries. My kids, and the husband, are huge strawberry fans – many times if I’m planning a specific recipe with strawberries, I have to hide the strawberries or they will eat them all and not leave enough for the recipe. They loved this strawberry cake, so much that they ate it so quickly that I had to make another one –while the kids were in school – so that I could actually get some photos to post with the recipe.
Step by step preparation photos for this simple French strawberry cake