Mango passion fruit margarita
This delicious and refreshing frozen mango passion fruit margarita recipe is made with fresh mango slices, passion fruit juice, lime, sugar, tequila, orange liqueur, and ice.
This tropical margarita recipe comes from my brother Ramon – who prepares mouthwatering food and drinks (and will hopefully open a restaurant soon). I took advantage of the perfect weather we had over the weekend, and the fact that is was Cinco de Mayo – otherwise known as American holiday for drinking margaritas, to prepare these amazing mango passion fruit margaritas.Jump to Recipe
For a non-alcoholic version of this tropical cocktail, try this mango passion fruit batido or smoothie recipe, it has almost the same ingredients as this margarita, minus the alcohol.
To make this mango passion fruit margarita you will need two key tropical fruits: mangoes and passion fruit. Luckily, mangoes are very easy to find in most US supermarkets. Fresh passion fruits tend to be more difficult to find and quite pricey if you do find them fresh. If using fresh passion fruits, you will need about 8 of the large yellow ones from Ecuador for about 1 ½ cups of pure juice – just blend the fresh pulp (by itself or with just a dash of water) and then strain to remove the seeds. If using the small purple ones, grown in the US or imported, then you will likely need at least double the amount.
An easier alternative is to use frozen passion fruit concentrate, which is available is most Latin – and Asian – grocery stores. It usually comes in 14 ounce packs – which converts to about 1 ¾ cups. If you can’t find the frozen concentrate or fresh fruit, you can use store bought passion fruit juice, it will likely already be sweetened so keep that in mind before adding additional sugar or honey.
Mango passion fruit margarita
- 10 to 12 ounces of fresh mango slices from about 2-3 smaller mangoes or 1 large mango
- 1 ½ cup passion fruit concentrate or pulp unsweetened (use frozen packs if you don’t have access to fresh passion fruits)
- ½ cup fresh lime juice from about 5-6 limes
- About ½ cup sugar honey, agave, or sweetener – adjust based on your preference
- 1 cup to 1 ½ cups of tequila adjust based on your preference
- ¼ to ½ cup of orange liqueur like Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Several cups of ice
- Slices of lime and sugar or salt to decorate rims
- Fresh passion pulp from about 1-2 passion fruits – optional
- Place the mango slices, passion fruit concentrate, lime juice and sugar in a blender. Mix until smooth.
- Add the tequila, orange liqueur, and plenty of ice. Blend until the ice is crushed and smooth, the margarita should have a creamy slushy consistency. Adjust the amount of ice based on the consistency you prefer.
- Moisten the rims of the glasses with a slice of lime and garnish the rims with sugar or salt according to your preference.
- Serve the margaritas immediately garnished with fresh passion fruit pulp and/or lime slices.