This refreshing chilled cucumber gazpacho soup is made with English cucumbers, cilantro, garlic, green onions, lime juice, olive oil. You can also add some avocado for a creamier variation.
I originally made this cucumber gazpacho to serve at a tapas party. I recommend making this cold soup ahead of time. It will allow the flavors to mix and concentrate better before serving it. In general – and especially for parties- I love preparing dishes that can be made or prepped in advance. It helps remove that stressful part of entertaining when all you have to do is pull out prepped dishes, assemble and add last minute touches.
I served this chilled cucumber soup in glasses garnished with garlic herb waffle croutons, some cebollas encurtidas or lime pickled red onions, a drizzle of olive oil, and some cilantro leaves. Other garnishes or topping ideas for the soup could include garlic toast, a bit of crème fraiche, smoked salmon, leftover grilled shrimp or grilled fish, or a fresh tomato salsa.
Recipe for cucumber gazpacho, a refreshing cold cucumber soup made with English cucumbers, cilantro, garlic, green onions, lime juice, olive oil.
- 2 large English variety seedless cucumbers, about 2 pounds– cut in medium size pieces
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed, adjust to taste
- 1-2 green onion stalks, roughly chopped – can also use white onions
- Juice of 2-3 limes, about ¼ cup
- ¼ cup water – optional
- 1 ripe avocado – optional
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Your choice of croutons or garlic bread (I made some waffle garlic herb croutons)
- Lime marinated pickled red onions (cebollas encurtidas)
- Cilantro leaves
- Crème fraiche
- Smoked salmon
- Combine the cucumbers, cilantro, crushed garlic, green onions and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend or pulse until you have the desired consistency – some people like it chunkier and others prefer a smoother mix. Add a ripe avocado (peeled and seed removed) for an extra creamy version.
- Taste and add salt if desired. For best flavor, chill the soup for 1-2 hours before serving. Mix it well before serving.
- Serve with croutons or garlic toast, pickled red onions, a drizzle of olive oil, and cilantro leaves. Other topping options include smoked salmon, crème fraiche, etc.
Step by step photo preparation for cold cucumber soup or cucumber gazpacho recipe: