I made this creamy avocado sauce specifically to accompany some chorizo & cheese filled empanadas. I wanted the flavors of guacamole but wanted something easier to pair with empanadas than the typical chunkier guacamole. This avocado sauce is perfectly smooth, refreshing and spicy. It turned out to be a great sauce not just for empanadas but also for grilled meats or seafood, a replacement for mayonnaise on sandwiches, or simply a great dipping sauce. This avocado salsa is very easy to make: just put all the ingredients in the blender. Of course, it helps to chop and crush the ingredients a little before; this will minimize the number of the times you have to shake up the blender before pulsing again (and again).
Creamy avocado sauce recipe made with avocados, limes, cilantro, hot peppers, garlic, olive oil and cumin. This is great dipping sauce for empanadas and can also be used for grilled meat and seafood.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 limes, juiced – a little over ½ cup of juice
- 1 medium sized bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 jalapeños or Serrano peppers, seeded and deveined
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender; it helps the blending process if the avocados are in small chunks and the cilantro is lightly chopped. I also recommend crushing the garlic before putting it in the blender to ensure no one gets a surprise large piece of garlic.
- Blend until you have a smooth sauce. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
You can adjust the heat level based on your preference. My family -kids included- has a decent tolerance for spice; however, you can also make this sauce very mild by using jalapeños – removing the veins and seeds help reduce the spiciness. For a spicier version use Serrano peppers or Habaneros. This sauce can be made right before serving or ahead of time, it has a lot of lime juice which prevents it from oxidizing, so it can last up to 24 hours before turning brown.
Step by step preparation photos for the avocado sauce recipe: