Easy recipe for pasta with mushroom cream sauce, this creamy sauce is made with butter, mushrooms, garlic, cream and white wine. Served with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
If you’ve ever visited the town of Vilcabamba in Ecuador then chances are you might know Gavin or Gavino, also known as the guy from the New Zealand. Several years ago we were visiting my family in Vilcabamba and Gavin invited as to dinner – on the condition that we bring wine and do the dishes. Gavin made this delicious pasta dish with a garlicky mushroom white wine cream sauce.Jump to Recipe
So, the night was going well, we had some wine and some entertaining (very entertaining!) conversations were going on. Gavin is great storyteller. Then when it was time to boil the pastas. Gavin tells Nicolas about the way his Italian friend opens the pasta pack, which was basically banging the packet on one’s knee. Gavin tried this method and at the same time hit the pan with the sauce and knocked it over.
He was terribly upset with himself and while Nicolas tried to console him, I went to the store to get more ingredients to re-make the sauce. When I got back, the guys had decided that it was just fine to scoop up the sauce and cook it up again!
I was very shocked at first, but I was also starving. I’m still somewhat embarrassed to admit that I ate the pasta with the mushroom cream sauce, but it tasted amazing. We have saying in Spanish that if does not kill you, it will just make you gain weight (“lo que no mata, engorda”).
I do not recommend spilling the mushroom sauce or even trying the method of opening the pasta pack on your knee. However, this is a delicious and easy to make pasta meal that we’ve made many times now since that visit to Ecuador. It’s probably our default go to pasta mushroom dish. You can use any type of pasta, we’ve used everything from pappardelle and linguini to short pastas. The fresh parsley is a must and gives it a nice touch of freshness.
Pasta with mushroom cream sauce
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 ½ lbs baby portabella mushrooms or white mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 tbs finely chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400 to 500 grams of your choice of pasta cooked according to package instructions or personal preference
- Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter over medium heat in large sauté pan, add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mushrooms will release liquid/moisture during this time, and once it starts to evaporate, they will start to brown nicely.
- In the meantime, start heating a large pot of water with salt to boil the pasta.
- Once the mushrooms start to brown, add the minced garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Depending on the cooking time for the pasta you will probably want to start cooking the pasta at around the same time as you add the white wine to the sauce.
- Add the cream, reduce to a low heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the cooked pastas and chopped parsley with the mushroom sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be served as is or with grated parmesan cheese.