These frozen tropical margaritas with pineapple, passion fruit, and mango are the perfect refreshing cocktail for a hot summer day, a get together with friends, or as a Friday de-stress drink. I used pineapple, mango, passion fruit juice, lime juice, sugar (can also use honey or your choice of sweetener), tequila, orange liqueur, and ice.
Tropical margaritas with pineapple, passion fruit, and mango
- ~ 2 cups or 10-12 ounces of pineapple chunks about ½ pineapple
- 8-10 ounces of fresh mango slices from 2 mangoes
- 1 cup passion fruit concentrate or pulp unsweetened (use frozen packs if you don’t have access to fresh passion fruits)
- Juice from 1 -2 limes
- About ½ cup sugar honey, agave, or sweetener - adjust based on your preference
- 1 cup to 1 ½ cups of tequila adjust to your preference
- ¼ to ½ cup of orange liqueur like Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Several cups of ice
- Slices of lime and sugar or salt to decorate rims
- Fresh passion pulp from about 1-2 passion fruits - optional
- Pineapple slices
- Place the pineapple chunks, mango slices, passion fruit concentrate, lime juice and sugar in a blender. Mix until smooth.
- Add the tequila, orange liqueur, and plenty of ice. Blend until the ice is crushed and smooth, the margarita should have a creamy slushy consistency. Adjust the amount of ice based on the consistency you prefer.
- Moisten the rims of the glasses with a slice of lime and garnish the rims with sugar according to your preference.
- Serve the cocktails immediately garnished with fresh passion fruit pulp, pineapple slices, and/or lime slices.
I grew up surrounded with an abundance of tropical fruits, including passion fruit, mango and pineapple, in Ecuador. One of the things I miss the most from Ecuador is how easy and inexpensive it is to get a variety of wonderful fruits – and all fresh juices/smoothies that are available at local restaurants.
This margarita was also inspired by a tropical frozen drink I had on a trip to Kauai, Hawaii a few years ago. It was made with pineapple infused vodka blended with passion fruit and mango. The laid back atmosphere in Kauai reminded me a lot of Vilcabamba, the town where I grew up in Ecuador. The mountains, the landscape (except for the beach of course), the chickens roaming free all around the island, the delicious food, and tropical fruits brought back so many memories of Ecuador.
For more amazing and mouthwatering margarita recipes check out the selection over at ¡Hola! Jalapeño’s Margarita week.
Tropical margarita preparation photos: