This is my easy go to recipe for making simple homemade mayonnaise. It’s prepared with egg, lime/lemon juice or vinegar, oil and salt.
I love making homemade mayonnaise, it is so easy and the flavor is so much better than store bought mayonnaise. This recipe is for a simple classic style mayonnaise and it uses egg, oil, lime/lemon juice or vinegar, and salt. To give it additional flavor you can add garlic or onion to give it a kick.
If you want a spicy mayonnaise you can add your choice chili peppers, fresh, canned, or in powder. You can also make mayonnaise with different herb flavors like cilantro, parsley, or basil. These ingredients can be added at the beginning with the egg or at the end with the lemon. I have tested and it works both ways.
One of the most common issues that occurs when making homemade mayonnaise is that it fails to thicken. My recommendation to avoid this is to add the oil very slowly and little by little at the beginning, once you see that it begins to thicken you can add the oil at a faster rate. If you already added about half of the oil and it still does not thicken then it will likely not thicken. In this case, to save the mayonnaise, you can add an additional egg and add oil slowly, liquefying and pulsing in between each time you add the oil.
The type of oil has a big impact on the flavor of the mayonnaise, for a garlic mayonnaise such as aioli then I like to add some olive oil. But for classic mayonnaise I prefer to use neutral oil. My favorite is avocado oil, it has a very neutral flavor. The amount of oil depends on how thick you like mayonnaise. Keep in mind that after refrigerating the mayonnaise it is going to get a little thicker. If you prefer it with a sauce like consistency then do not use more than 3/4 cup, and if you want it thick then use the entire cup of oil. Also the more additional ingredients you add might require more oil to be added to reach your preferred consistency.
- 1 egg
- 3/4-1 cup oil I prefer a neutral oil like avocado or sunflower oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice or vinegar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Combine the egg, a pinch of salt, and a tiny amount of oil in a blender, blend until well mixed.
- Continue blending and add the oil very slowly at first until the mix begins to thicken.
- Once it begins to thicken you can add the oil at a steady drizzle, once the blending starts to slow down you can turn off the blender and add the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Blend until the lemon juice is mixed in, taste and add additional salt if needed.
For a different variation of mayonnaise, you can try my husband’s recipe for aioli, which is a garlicky style mayonnaise sauce that is very popular in the south of France and Spain.