This easy recipe for making homemade strawberry raspberry gelatin hearts is made using fresh berries, sugar, water, and unflavored gelatin.
I used a mix of strawberries and raspberries, but you could also make it using just strawberries or a mix of different berries. I used a lower ratio of liquid to gelatin because I wanted the strawberry gelatin hearts to have a firm texture – I used 1 (1/4 oz) envelope per 1 cup of liquid (the usual ratio for a softer gelatin is 1 envelope per 2 cups of liquid). If you want to make this a gelatin dessert served in cups and don’t need to unmold it, then you can use less gelatin.
I also added some additional chopped berries to the gelatin mix before refrigerating. If you have heart shaped molds then you can use it to make this dessert, if not you can simply use a rectangular (or any shape) baking mold, and then use heart shaped cookie cutters to cut out the gelatin once it has set. I mixed up the leftover scraps with a bit of whipped cream as an extra special treat for the kids. I used these heart shaped pieces of strawberry and raspberry gelatin as a garnish for a coconut panna cotta dessert.
How to make fresh strawberry and raspberry gelatin hearts
- 1 ½ lbs of fresh strawberries washed and stems removed
- 8 ounces of fresh raspberries washed
- ½ cup of sugar adjust to taste
- 1 cup of water
- 1 oz / 28 grams / 4 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- Additional chopped strawberries and whole raspberries to garnish – optional
- Blend the strawberries and raspberries with the sugar and water. Taste and adjust the amount of sugar (if desired). Strain the mix; you should have about 4 cups of berry puree.
- Place 1 cup of this puree in a large bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it to help soften the gelatin.
- Heat the other 3 cups of the strawberry raspberry puree until it is hot and almost boiling.
- Combine the warm strawberry raspberry puree together with the gelatin and the cold puree. Mix until the gelatin is well dissolved.
- Pour the mix into a rectangular glass mold. Another option is to pour the mix into a heart-shaped ice cube tray. Or if you have a heart shaped baking tray (or silicone heart molds) you can make large or medium sized gelatin hearts.
- If desired you can add some chopped strawberries and/or whole raspberries on top.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or until the strawberry raspberry gelatin has set and is firm.
- Use hearts molds to cut out heart shapes and serve or use as desired. Keep refrigerated.