This corn, broccoli and potato salad is a great option for a refreshing summer side salad. It is made with corn, potatoes, broccoli, onion, mayonnaise, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and wasabi.
I was so excited to see fresh corn at the grocery store the other day, it’s still a bit cold here in the PNW to find it at the market yet, but just seeing corn (from California – lucky you who live there) made me happy. I’m waiting for the local corn to make Ecuadorian humitas (I’ve been dreaming of these all winter), but until then I decided to get a few ears of corn for salad to go with some grilled meat.
This salad is a variation of the typical potato salad, it is very easy to make and is a great side dish for meat and fish dishes, especially for grilled dishes as it provides a nice refreshing contrast. In Ecuador the second course or main dish is always served with a small side salad, a very popular salad is the famous ensalada rusa or Russian salad which is a potato salad with carrots, peas, corn, and other vegetables.
We have many variations of the ensalada rusa salad, some based on what you find at the market or in the refrigerator. I wanted to add a little bit a healthy component to this salad so I included the broccoli. Also while making the standard mayonnaise dressing I wanted to little bit of spiciness so I added a bit of wasabi.
Corn, broccoli and potato salad
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels from about 4 ears, boiled
- 3 cups diced cooked potatoes about 3 medium sized potatoes
- 3 cups broccoli florets barely steamed
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise homemade or store bought (can also use plain yogurt or a mix of mayo and yogurt)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp wasabi paste adjust to taste (can use horseradish if not able to find wasabi)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the mayonnaise sauce or dressing combine the mayonnaise, crushed garlic, chopped cilantro, lime juice, wasabi paste, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
- In a large bowl mix the corn, potatoes, broccoli and red onion with the mayonnaise dressing, mix well, serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.