This homemade strawberry margarita recipe is made with fresh strawberries, lime juice, sugar or honey, orange liqueur, and tequila. I love a good refreshing margarita, and while a classic simple margarita with fresh lime juice is a great drink, sometimes I feel more like a fruity variation of this delicious cocktail. This strawberry margarita can be prepared and served on the rocks. Or if you prefer frozen strawberry margaritas, simply add additional ice and blend until you have a smooth frozen drink. You can use sugar to sweeten this drink, but sometimes I also like to use honey – it goes so well with strawberries and lime juice.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries washed and hulled
- ~½ to ¾ cup sugar honey or your preferred sweetener, adjust to taste
- 5-6 limes juiced, a little over ½ cup
- ¼ to ½ cup of orange liqueur like Grand Marnier or Cointreau - adjust to taste
- 1 cup to 1 ½ cups of your choice of tequila or strawberry-infused tequila adjust based on your preference
- Salt or sugar for rims
- Strawberries and lime slices to garnish
- Cut the strawberries in halves to help make blending easier.
- Place the strawberries, lime juice and sugar or honey in a blender. Blend until you have a smooth puree.
- Add the tequila and orange liqueur blend until well mixed, taste and adjust the liqueur if needed.
- For on the rocks strawberry margaritas serve over ice.
- To prepare frozen strawberry margaritas, add a good amount of ice to the blender mix. Blend until the ice is crushed and smooth, the margarita should have a slushy consistency. Adjust the amount of ice based on the consistency you prefer.
- Moisten the rims of the glasses with a slice of lime and garnish the rims with sugar or salt according to your preference.
- Serve the strawberry margaritas immediately garnished with slices of strawberry and/or lime slices.
One of my most recent obsessions has been making homemade infused liqueurs. I made a strawberry infused tequila that turned out so good. Infused tequila (or vodka/rum/etc) are very easy to make and just take 2-3 days for the fruit flavor to infuse the alcohol, so if you are planning in advance to prepare these strawberry margaritas, I recommend making it with strawberry infused tequila, it will give the cocktail as extra boost of delicious strawberry-ness.
For a mocktail strawberry margarita simply leave out the alcohol and you will have a refreshing strawberry limeade drink or slushy.
Step by step preparation photos for strawberry margaritas