Chunky avocado salsa or side salad
This chunky avocado salsa recipe is one of my favorite toppings; it can be served with regular corn chips or with patacones/tostones (green plantain chips). I also love it as a bruschetta topping for grilled garlic bread or garlic toast. It can also be served as a basic avocado side salad for a variety of main dishes, from grilled fish to grilled shrimp or grilled chicken.
Chunky avocado salsa
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 avocados peeled, seeded and sliced or diced
- 2-3 hot or mild peppers, seeded and deveined, finely diced – adjust to taste, can also use mini sweet peppers for a non-spicy option
- Juice from 2-3 limes
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Sprinkle the red onion slices with some salt, rub gently, and rinse well with cold water. This will help remove the bitterness from the onions.
- Combine the sliced or diced avocado, red onion, hot (or sweet) peppers, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt in a bowl and mix well. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Serve the chunky avocado salsa a topping for chips/bread or as a side salad. Also goes great with grilled fish, shrimp, pork, or chicken.
I recommend washing the sliced red onions with some salt and water, we do this frequently in Ecuador to help remove the bitterness/strong flavor from the onions. Of course, if you are using onions that are very mild and on the sweeter side, then it is less necessary. I like to add spicy hot peppers to mine, but for a non-spicy variation of this avocado topping you can use mini sweet peppers, they will still add some nice crunch, sweetness, and a touch of color. This chunky avocado salsa is very easy to make and can be prepared in advance.
Preparation photos for chunky avocado salsa or side salad
Laylita, I just want to tell you how much “I LOVE YOUR STYLE”. You are amazing. Great food, great style, great pics. Love getting your email updates with new stuff.