Leek and potato soup
This easy to make recipe for creamy leek and potato soup is made with leeks (all parts), Yukon gold potatoes, onion, garlic, vegetable or chicken broth, milk or cream, cumin, coriander, nutmeg and lemon juice.
I started making this soup thinking this is going to be my “I’m feeling lazy and I’m going to use every part of the leek because I hate wasting any part of the leeks” version of leek and potato soup. Though once I started cooking it was hard to really be lazy, so the only lazy part or shortcut is mincing the leeks in the food processor.
I had some extra help making this leek and potato soup. Marc, my 2 ½ year old, insisted that he wanted to help me “shake” the soup. He saw me stirring the soup and based on the movement of my hand he thought I was shaking it. So he wanted to have a turn at “shaking” the soup. I served this soup topped with a spicy mint crème fraiche sauce and some chopped chives.
Leek and potato soup
- 6 small leeks or 3 large leeks white and green parts, well washed
- 2 tbs oil or butter
- 1 cup diced white onion about ½ onion
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tbs ground cumin
- ½ tbs ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut in chunks
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the leeks in large chunks and place in the food processor, pulse until all the leeks are minced.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan add the minced leeks, onions and garlic, cook on medium low for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin, coriander, nutmeg and salt, stir well.
- Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and additional salt if needed, remove from the heat and let the soup cool until it is safe to blend.
- Blend the soup, strain (if not feeling too lazy), mix in the milk or half and half, and reheat.
- Serve with the spicy mint crème fraiche sauce.
your son is so cute! That leek soup looks awesome. My mother always made it for me whenever I needed a good pick-me-up. Keep up the good work!