Eggplant and baby arugula salad
Eggplant is one of those vegetables that I hated for no particular reason when I was a kid, now I regret having missed out on all those eggplant dishes I refused to even try (what was I thinking?). This salad consists of baked eggplant squares and raisins with a balsamic garlic dressing served on a bed of baby arugula. The idea of raisins + eggplant might not sound like the best combination, but trust me (and taste it), it works!
I started making this salad a few years ago and it has changed a little bit (I like to think it has evolved and improved), so I’m posting the most current version. This eggplant salad is spicy, sweet, salty, tangy and peppery all in the same bite. It’s one of those salads that just need some bread and cheese on the side to make a perfect lunch.
1 large eggplant
2 tablespoons light olive oil or oil resistant to 400F
2-3 cups arugula
1/3 cup raisins – optional (can replace with cherry tomatoes)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
3-4 tbs olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley (or basil)
Salt & pepper
Optional – grated parmesan
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Peel the eggplant and chop it in bite sized square pieces
- Toss the eggplant squares with olive oil and salt; put eggplant pieces in an ovenproof pan
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes
- Meanwhile prepare a salad dressing with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper
- Toss the arugula with half of the dressing
- Toss eggplants pieces and raisins with the other half of the dressing
- Arrange the arugula leaves on a flat serving platter and place eggplant pieces in the center, sprinkle with grated parmesan if desired
- Serve warm or cold
I made this a few days ago and really liked it! I reposted it with a few changes on my blog (credited to you, of course)– I hope you don’t mind!