Easy recipe for a spicy roasted pepper yogurt sauce made with garlic, roasted bell peppers, plain yogurt, cumin, salt and red pepper flakes.
I made this spicy roasted pepper yogurt sauce to serve as a topping for a creamy celery root soup. This refreshing yogurt sauce gets a spicy kick from the addition of chili powder. This simple sauce is made with roasted bell peppers, yogurt, garlic, cumin, and cayenne or chipotle chili powder- a spicy paprika can also be used, especially for that smokey touch. For a non spicy version use sweet paprika powder instead of the chili powder.
My mom used to make a lot of different yogurt based sauces or dips, probably in part because we didn’t have sour cream widely available. And also because a yogurt based dip is somewhat healthier than a sour cream dip. Either way I am big fan of yogurt dips and am always experimenting with different ones. This one was particularly successful and can be served with soups, vegetables and seafood. It also works great as a dip. It does have a decent amount of garlic – I’m a garlic fan, but feel free to add less if you don’t want it too garlicky.
Spicy roasted pepper yogurt sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves crushed – adjust to taste
- 3 tablespoons of chopped roasted bell peppers
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder – can use cayenne or chipotle or a spicy paprika
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, mix until all the ingredients are pureed and the sauce is smooth.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes.