I had sturgeon for the first time a few years ago and loved it, but I could never find at the grocery store or even at the fish market, so it started to become a distant memory…Until I was at Whole Foods this week and wasn’t planning on buying fish, however the moment I saw the “Wild sturgeon” sign I knew we would be having fish for lunch that day. The seafood expert at Whole Foods mentioned that they only sell wild sturgeon, but it isn’t available very frequently. I mentioned that I was thinking of grilling the sturgeon and he recommended finishing it off in the oven because it is a very tough fish. I wanted the fish to have a lot of spicy flavor and used a coriander seasoning to marinate the fish and I used an electric indoor grill because it is extremely cold outside and we have a charcoal grill that takes forever to warm up. I love making sauces for fish and found a great recipe for a lime cilantro butter sauce in one of my favorite cookbooks Fired Up by Jeff Blank – owner/chef of Hudson’s on the Bend (an amazing restaurant in Austin, TX).
2 lbs wild sturgeon
1 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil
- Place the sturgeon and the salt in a bowl and cover with water, let sit for about 10 minutes and rinse.
- Rub the olive oil and spicy coriander seasoning all over the fish and let marinate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F (skip if only grilling)
- Heat the grill and place the sturgeon on the grill, grill for about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to oven safe dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with lime cilantro butter sauce.