This refreshing avocado pasta salad with tomatoes, feta cheese or queso fresco, red onions, basil, olive oil and lemon is one of our favorite quick meals. There is something comforting and slightly addictive about a good pasta salad. I think it’s the combination of avocado and salty cheese.Jump to Recipe
I originally used to make this avocado pasta salad using queso fresco. Then one day one of my kids, the younger slightly pickier one, decided he no longer liked queso fresco – sometimes I wonder if he was switched at the hospital, but he does look a lot like me… So now I make it using feta cheese. If he’s not around then I’ll use queso fresco instead. You can use whichever you prefer or is easier to find.
As is the case with most pasta salad recipes feel free to customize and adjust the ingredients based on what you like or what you have available. Some ideas could be to add olives, or use a different fresh herb such as parsley, cilantro, dill, etc instead of the basil. Same goes with type of pasta, use your favorite or the one in your pantry that needs to be used.
Avocado pasta salad with tomatoes and feta cheese or queso fresco
- 1 lb pack of short pasta 450-500grams – I used penne rigate, would also work well with macaroni or shells
- 12 ounces of tomatoes chopped – or halved if using cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion diced
- 2 avocados pits removed and peeled, diced
- ½-1 lemon juiced
- 4 ounces of feta cheese or queso fresco crumbled – add more to taste
- 1/4 cup of basil leaves, whole or chopped – can also use whole basilparsley/dill/cilantro
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil add more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pastas according to the package instructions in a large pot of salted water.
- Drain the pasta and let it cool down.
- Drizzle the lemon juice on the diced avocados and on the diced red onions. You can also drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the avocado.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust salt/pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately.
- If you want to make it ahead of time you can mix all the ingredients except the avocado and add it right before serving