This is my easy recipe for crab salad stuffed avocados – prepared by filling ripe avocados with a salad of fresh cooked crab meat, red onion, bell pepper, cucumber, radishes, lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro.
I’ve probably said this (a million times) before, but I love avocados. And one of my favorite ways to eat avocados, besides just plain sprinkled with salt, is filling them with some of my other favorite foods – especially with seafood. In this case, I made a crab salad with Dungeness crab meat, red onion, bell peppers, cucumber, radishes, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil.Jump to Recipe
The crab salad on its own is delicious, it’s even better served stuffed in an avocado. You can use any type of crab meat for the salad, though I wouldn’t recommend the fake or imitation crab meat.
The crab salad can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to assemble and serve the crab stuffed avocados. I recommend using avocados that are ripe but still firm. When the avocados are firm it makes them easier to peel and they are less likely to have parts that are browned. These crab salad stuffed avocados can be served as an appetizer. They can also be served as a salad over lettuce or salad greens.
Crab salad stuffed avocados
For the crab salad:
- 1 pound of cooked crab meat
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper finely diced
- ½ cucumber finely diced
- 4 radishes finely diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the stuffed avocados:
- 4-5 ripe but firm avocados
- ½ lime
- Lettuce or salad greens cilantro leaves, chopped green onions or chives, radishes
To prepare the crab salad:
- Mix the cooked crab meat with diced onions, diced bell peppers, diced cucumbers, diced radish, lime juice, olive oil, chopped cilantro, and salt/pepper. The salad can be prepared in advance and kept refrigerated until just ready to assemble the avocados.
To prepare the crab stuffed avocados:
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seeds and peel the avocados. Sprinkle each avocado half with a little lime (or lemon) juice to prevent the avocados from browning too quickly.
- Fill the center of the avocados halves with the crab salad. Serve the crab stuffed avocados over lettuce leaves and garnished with chopped chives (or green onions) and radishes.