Easy recipe for a cauliflower salad, tossed with a spicy shallot vinaigrette made with Anaheim pepper, jalapeño, shallots, champagne vinegar, olive oil, garlic and cilantro. This spicy cauliflower salad, also known as ensalada de coliflor al aji, is a quick and easy to make salad recipe – perfect for those who love some spice and heat in a refreshing salad.
Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that used to confuse me and leave me without many options, what could I cook with it? A soup, just plain as a side, it just seemed pretty plain and boring. Then one day I had a cauliflower that needed to be used, and a lot of peppers and jalapeños, so I decided to spice the cauliflower up a little with a hot pepper and shallot vinaigrette. We all loved it. The husband started buying cauliflowers more frequently and requesting it extra spicy.
I used a mix Anaheim and Jalapeño peppers for this recipe, but it also works well with spicier peppers if you want a higher level of heat – for a lower amount of heat, you can just use the Anaheim peppers. This cauliflower salad is very easy to make and can be served warm or cold. As a cold salad, it is one of those that tastes better the longer the cauliflower has been marinating in the vinaigrette. Serve this salad as a starter salad or as a side dish.
Cauliflower salad with spicy shallot vinaigrette
- 1 medium sized cauliflower washed and cut into florets
Spicy shallot vinaigrette:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 1 jalapeño or red fresno chili or Serrano peppers, adjust to taste – remove seeds/veins for less heat
- 2 medium shallots
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbs champagne vinegar can also use apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs water
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Bring water to boil and add the cauliflower, boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain.
- To make the vinaigrette combine the garlic, Anaheim pepper, jalapeño, shallots, lime juice, vinegar, water and olive oil in a mini food processor and pulse until all the ingredients are finely minced.
- Toss the cauliflower with the vinaigrette and salt to taste. Can be served immediately or chilled until ready to serve.
- Sprinkled with the chopped cilantro right before serving.