Salsa de maní or peanut sauce
Salsa de mani is a warm peanut sauce made with peanut butter, milk, onion, cumin, achiote, cilantro and hard-boiled egg.
Servings 2 cups
- ¾ cup peanut butter unsweetened
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup finely diced white onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground achiote
- 2 tbs peanut oil or butter
- 1 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tbs finely minced or sliced white onions
- 1 hard-boiled egg finely chopped (optional)
- 1 aji or hot pepper finely minced (optional)
- Salt to taste
Mix the peanut butter with ½ cup of milk to help dissolve the peanut butter.
Heat the butter or oil to prepare a refrito, add the onion, achiote, cumin and salt, cook until the onions are soft.
Add the peanut butter and milk mixture, as well the remaining ½ cup of milk.
Stir well and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the chopped hard-boiled egg, cilantro, aji (if using) and onions.