Coconut ice cream
Homemade coconut rum ice cream recipe made with coconut milk, cream, sugar, fresh grated coconut, and dark rum. Served with roasted coconut shavings
Servings 8 to 10
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk ~14 fl oz/~400ml each can
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sugar could also replace heavy cream and sugar for condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon of coconut extract - optional
- ½ to 1 cup of fresh grated coconut can use frozen fresh coconut – found at Asian grocery stores, adjust based on preference
- 6 tablespoons of dark rum – can use 1-2 teaspoons of rum extract instead for flavor without the alcohol
- Toasted coconut to garnish
In a medium sized sauce pan, combine the coconut milk, cream, and sugar, heat and mix until the sugar has dissolved completely.
Mix in the rum and coconut extract. Taste and adjust the amount of rum or coconut extract based on your taste preference. Let the mix cool down completely.
Prepare the ice cream according to your machine’s instructions. Add the freshly grated coconut at the end.
For the non-ice cream machine option, place the coconut milk mix in a plastic or metal freezer friendly container and freeze for 1 hour. It should be semi-frozen, but still somewhat soft. Remove from the freezer and use an electric mixer to soften the mix. You can also place it in a food processor or a blender and mix (just make sure your blender is powerful enough to blend frozen foods). Return to the freezer and let it rest for another hour, then repeat the process for 3-4 times or until you’ve achieved the desired smoothness, add the freshly grated coconut during the last time that you mix it.
Let the ice cream rest in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving.
Serve the coconut rum ice cream with toasted coconut shavings or with your choice of fresh fruit.