Beef daube or Provencal/French beef stew
Easy recipe for beef daube, a classic Provencal or Southern French stew made with beef, onions, tomatoes, carrots, red wine, and herbs.
Servings 6 -8 portions
- 4 lbs beef shank with or without bones, cut in large chunks
- 1 ½ large red onions sliced
- 3-4 tbs olive oil
- 10 roma tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced, or 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 6-7 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ - 2 cups red wine
- 1 tbs herbes de Provence or mix of dried thyme, marjoram, sage, rosemary, basil, etc
- 1 tbs whole anise seeds
- Salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan, add the meat chunks and brown them on each side.
Remove the meat from the pan and set aside for later.
Add the onions slices to the pan and cook until caramelized.
Add the browned meat chunks back to the pan with the onions
Add the tomatoes, carrots, wine, herbs, anise seeds, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until the meat is very tender and the sauce has thickened.
Serve with warm pastas or rice/potatoes.