Chicken or turkey tortilla soup
Tortilla soup recipe made with chicken or turkey, cilantro, onions, garlic, jalapeños, tomatoes, spices, stock, lime juice and served with monterrey jack cheese, tortilla chips, and avocado.
Servings 8 servings
- 2 tbs oil light olive oil, peanut or sunflower oil
- 1 ½ cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 bunch of green onions finely chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños seeds removed (or not if you want the wild stuff version), diced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper double for wild stuff version
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 roma tomatoes peeled and diced, about 2 cups
- 2 cups of turkey or chicken stock
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 4 cups of shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- Juice from1 to 2 limes about 1/4 to ½ cup- adjust to taste or just serve with lime on the side
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated monterrey jack cheese or queso fresco tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, green onions and lime slices
Heat the oil in large pot, add the onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapeños, crushed garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
Add the turkey or chicken stock, tomato juice and shredded turkey. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the lime juice and remove from the heat.
Serve garnished with the grated cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, green onions and lime slices.