Recipe for pasta or spaghetti with a creamy spicy avocado sauce made with ripe avocados, roasted hatch green chiles, tomatillos, roasted garlic, cilantro, and olive oil. Topped with crumbled queso freso and green onions.
This spaghetti with spicy avocado sauce was one of the first things I made when we got back from our summer trip to France. I love France and love the food, but always end missing my kitchen (and my bed). I could talk forever about all the amazing summer apricots, melon, tomatoes, eggplants, and other typical Provençal summer ingredients.
However I always end up getting withdrawals and missing ingredients, that while are available in France, are not as common and don’t get added to every day meals: avocados, limes, cilantro, and hot peppers. I was so happy when I walked up the entrance of my local grocery store and found that they were roasting hatch chiles.
I made a (mildly) spicy avocado sauce for the pastas using ripe avocados, roasted hatch New Mexican green chiles, grilled/roasted tomatillos, roasted garlic, plenty of cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil. Hatch chiles are very seasonal, so you can replace them with Anaheim peppers – also good for a milder version of this avocado pasta sauce – or with poblano peppers – for a spicier version. I added the avocado sauce to the pastas as soon as they were done cooking and served it immediately.
However there were some leftovers so I tried them both cold and re-heated to see which was better, both options were delicious. Served cold it reminded me of a cold pasta salad, and served warm it had that comforting taste that you expect from spaghetti. I was a bit concerned that re-heating would change the flavor or texture of the sauce, but it was just fine. I served the avocado spaghetti topped with chopped green onions and with crumbled queso fresco (cotija is also very good).
Pasta or spaghetti with spicy avocado sauce
For the spicy avocado sauce:
- 12 roasted New Mexico hatch chile peppers roasted and peeled (can also use Anaheim peppers, poblano peppers, or regular bell peppers for a non-spicy variation)
- 10 tomatillos ~1 lb, roasted or grilled
- 1-2 heads of garlic roasted or grilled
- 2-3 green onions
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 2 small limes juiced
- Salt to taste
For the avocado pastas:
- 2 lbs of spaghetti or your choice of pastas cooked according to package instructions or your preference
- Crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Additional diced or sliced avocado optional
- Cilantro leaves
- Combine all the ingredients for the spicy avocado sauce in the blender.
- Blend until you have a smooth sauce.
- The sauce can be served immediately or refrigerated until needed. Stir and let it return to room temperature when serving.
- Cook the spaghetti or pastas according to package instructions, drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the spicy avocado sauce and mix well. Serve the avocado pastas with crumbled queso fresco, chopped green onions, cilantro leaves, and diced avocado.