Here’s a quick and easy idea to give your drinks some fun summer colors and flavor: make melon ball ice cubes. I recently made a couple of recipes using melon balls and had a decent amount of leftover ones. I decided to freeze them and then use them as ice cubes for drinks. These melon ball ice cubes can be used as “ice” for cocktails – just keep in mind that they will add a slightly melon flavor to the drink. I also love using them as pretty ice cubes for sparkling water.
I used a variety of four different melons: watermelon, cantaloupe, classic honeydew melon, and white honeydew melon. White honeydew melons have a yellow skin, but their flesh is white and the taste is very similar to a regular honeydew melon. You can prepare these melon ball ice cubes with a mix of different melons or just one type of melon.
How to make round fruity ice cubes using melon balls. You can make melon ball ice cubes with watermelon, cantaloupe, and/or honeydew melon.
- Honeydew melon
- White honeydew melon
- Rinse the melons, cut them in half and remove the seeds.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the melon balls from the fruit. Don’t worry if they’re not all perfectly round – they will flatten slightly when you freeze them.
- Use a baking sheet or flat platter that can fit in your freezer. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Arrange the melon balls on the baking sheet. Make sure that the melon balls are not touching (or they will freeze together).
- Freeze the melon balls for a few hours or until completely frozen. Remove them from the freezer and transfer them to a freezer bag. Place the bag in the freezer until ready to use.
Use the leftover parts of the melon (what's left after scooping out the melon balls) to make a smoothie, cocktails, or a cold melon soup.
For a quick and easy refreshing (non-alcoholic) drink, just place the melon ball ice cubes in a glass, add sparkling water or soda water, a squeeze of lime juice, and a mint leave to garnish. This simple drink not only looks great, but the water will have a delicious hint of melon, lime and mint.
Step by step preparation photos for making melon ball ice cubes