This easy and quick chicken salad is a great way to use chicken leftovers. It’s very common that when we have roasted/grilled chicken or a store bought rotisserie chicken, we always have a little left. It’s not enough for a full meal, but it’s enough chicken meat to use as an addition for a salad. This chicken salad can work as an appetizer salad or as lunch entree salad.
Recipe for a quick and tasty homemade chicken salad with mixed greens, avocado, tomato, cucumber, onions and balsamic cilantro dressing - a great way to use chicken leftovers for a delicious lunch salad.
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, adjust based on your preference
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, adjust based on your preference
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ~2 cups of your choice of mixed salad greens
- ½ avocado, diced or sliced
- 5-6 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- A few slices of red onion
- 5-6 slices of cucumber
- ½ cup shredded cooked chicken
- A few coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- To prepare the salad dressing, place the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk lightly. Can be made ahead of time, refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare the salad, arrange the mixed salad greens on a large plate, add the diced avocado, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, shredded chicken, and the chopped cilantro.
- Pour the balsamic cilantro dressing over the salad, toss and serve immediately.
I made a quick balsamic cilantro dressing to go with this salad. I am completely in love with the flavor combination of chicken, avocado, balsamic vinegar, and cilantro. The chicken salad also has tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. You can add additional vegetables or leave them out based on your taste and what you have available. During summer grilling season I like to add leftover grilled veggies – grilled eggplant is an amazing addition to this salad.
Step by step preparation photos for chicken vegetable salad with balsamic cilantro dressing